Thursday, October 21, 2010

October Club Projects

Here are the projects we made in my hostess club this month!  

At the request of this month's hostess, we made a slider card for Christmas.  These cards are so much fun!!! I mean, who doesn't love a card that surprises you? ;o)


We used lots of fun new products in the Holiday mini:  Designer fabric, waffle paper, big shot dies, punches, ribbon and stamp sets!  The color scheme we used was Cherry Cobbler, Always Artichoke, Crumb Cake and Soft Suede.  The card was based off of this tutorial on the SCS website.  


The stamp sets we used were Christmas Collage and Bells & Boughs from the holiday mini.  We also used the Winter Post set from the IBC (one of my favs).  We die cut the fabric using the new Tasteful Trims XL die from the mini.  To get the "distressed" look in our fabric, after cutting it, we wadded it up and rolled it around a bit in our hands.  After placing it on the card front, we added a few pearls for an added touch.


Our second project was my twist on the ever-popular Sweet Treat Turkey Guy!  I switched it up a little using the gorgeous "Day of Gratitude" stamp set and the ornament punch, and I mounted him on a tent card so he can stand on his own for perfect placement at the Thanksgiving dinner table!  Wanna know how we did it?  Read on!


First, you will need to ensure you have all of the following pieces (Click on pic for a larger image).  


The color scheme I chose was to coordinate with the fall-themed m&m packs that are out right now.  So I used Cherry Cobbler, Early Espresso and More Mustard.  Notice that several pieces have little "nips" taken out of them using the 1-3/4" circle punch.  

To get the beautiful gradiated stamped image, I created my own ink pad using a piece of felt with a plastic tray underneath and SU re-inkers.  I started with a circle of Early Espresso, added some Cherry Cobbler around it, and then some More Mustard as the last ring of color.  


I made sure the finished ink pad was big enough to accommodate my image, and then started stamping away.  Honestly... I couldn't stop.  The image was so gorgeous and striking, I filled about 5 sheets of Whisper White card stock. LOL.  I am going to make these for my own thanksgiving table, so I figured I'll have a head start! 


Then, I used my craft knife to cut out the flower image and then used the 1-3/4" punch to cut out my circle.  You can use the image above as a guide for placement.  Basically, I used the mini-flower in the center of the image as my guide.  I placed the top of the circle right at the top of that image.

Meanwhile, you'll also want to stamp two of the leaves in Early espresso and cut those out.  Don't forget to "nip" them, too! 

To assemble your turkey, Start with a sweet treat cup and adhere the 2-1/2" circle with the 1-3/4" circle punched out.


Add the ornament punch-outs starting with the sides and moving to the top:


You can then add the stamped flower image and then the two stamped side wings.  (I used a dimensional to adhere the "wings").   For the face, add your choice of "google" eyes and craft a simple beak out of scrap cardstock.

Once you've got all the front pieces on, you can flip your turkey over and fill 'er up!  Use the solid 2-1/2" circle to close up the back.  


If you plan to mount your turkey on a tent card, you should have the tent card assembled like so:


Before I mounted my turkey on the tent card, I used my custom ink pad and stamped the "Happy Thanksgiving" sentiment from the Thankful For stamp set onto whisper white cardstock.  I curled the middle and ends a bit using a pencil and lined it up with the bottom edge of the tent card.


Then I added my finished turkey!



 


1 comment:

  1. This is so adorable! Love the idea of using the Day of Gratitude set along with the ornament punch- genius! Thanks for sharing this with all of us:-)

    ReplyDelete

Search My Blog