So, here is my own little way I have developed for refilling my empty smooch bottles:
What you'll need:
- 70% Rubbing Alcohol (dries very quickly and won't wrinkle your paper)
- Empty & Clean Smooch Spritz bottle
- Champagne Mist (116806) or Frost White (116854) Shimmer Paint
- Classic Stampin Ink Refill (in color of your choice)
- Empty Shimmer Paint Bottle (optional)
- Labeler (optional)
First of all, I keep my empty bottles of shimmer paint as well for this process. Why? Because that little metal ball inside does a great job of mixing up the alcohol and shimmer paint. So I highly recommend keeping these empties around (at least 1 white and one champagne). If you do not initially have these on hand, you can use the empty Smooch bottle instead.
So, given that little tidbit of information, the first step is to decide whether you want a champagne-based or frost-based smooch spritzer (or see variations at the end of this post). In this example, I will be making a Pumpkin Pie smooch spritz and have chosen Champagne Mist as my base.
Start with your empty shimmer paint bottle (or mix directly in empty smooch bottle). I fill my empty shimmer paint bottle with alcohol and then add about 1/3 cupful of shimmer paint. I close it up and shake the heck out of it. (That's where the little metal ball comes in really handy)
Once I have my shimmer mixture, I pour it into the smooch bottle until it is 3/4 full.
Then I add my chosen reinker color. How much to add? Well, that's up to you. If you want a faint hint of color when you spray, just add 4-5 drops. Want a rich and saturated effect? go for 15-20 drops. Your best bet is to start with a few, test it, then add more later if necessary.
So after you have added your re-inker color, close up the smooch bottle, shake it up and test it out! It's seriously hard to stop spritzing... it always looks so beautiful!
Don't forget to label your bottle when you are done. Some colors are very hard to tell just by looking at them. If you have any left over shimmer mixture, save it for next time!
Other options and variations:
- I have also taken a nearly full bottle of the Gold Glow, Silver Foil or Vanilla Shimmer Smooch and just added a re-inker color to it. For example, I added some Concord Crush to a Silver Foil smooch spritzer and the result was absolutely stunning!!!!
- I have also used Pearl-Ex powders in neutral colors like gold or silver. I have not used the colored versions, as I want to try and keep my Spritzers as true to SU colors as possible. A note of caution when using Pearl-Ex... be careful how much powder you use... too much can potentially plug up the nozzle. Also, stay away from the "flaky" versions of Pearl Ex. I have one of these in copper... the metal flakes are much too big to fit through the tube and nozzle of the spritzer.
Stay turned for projects I'll be posting using many of these custom Smooch Spritz Colors!!! In the meantime, here are some of my favorite colors I've made so far:
- Baja Breeze and Frost White
- Crumb Cake and Frost White
- Early Espresso and Champagne Mist
- Cherry Cobbler and Champagne Mist
Hope everyone has as much fun as I have making your own custom spritzers! :o)